Free Childcare

Nursery Education Grant

The nursery grant is available for all children on the term after they turn three years old.
Your child is entitled to 15 hours free childcare per week, 38 weeks per year.
The 15 hours can be used in the following ways:

1) A minimum of 2.5 hours in one day. A maximum of 10 hours in one day. These can be flexible to suit your needs.
2) Your choice of hours can be used per day, over a minimum of 2 days, up to a total of 15 hours
3) The entitlement will be deducted off your fees or your child can attend for free sessions only

Parents/Carers must sign a “Head Count” form to claim all funding and must provide a copy of your child’s birth certificate.
If your child already attends a maintained school setting for the 15 hours, then they are exempt from claiming at the Rocking Horse Nursery.

For further information, please speak to the nursery manager.

2 Year Free Entitlement

Your two year-old child may qualify for a free early years place if:

  • your home address is in Nottinghamshire (Broomhill & Kingsway) Derbyshire (Ilkeston) Nottingham City (Bulwell), and
  • they are classed as a “looked after child” (A “looked after child” is a child who is (a) in the care of a local authority, or (b) being provided with accommodation by a local authority in the exercise of their social services function. The term “looked after child” would include a child who was previously “looked after” but, immediately thereafter, became subject to an adoption, resident or special guardianship order)
  • have left care through special guardianship or an adoption or residence order

or you receive one of the following benefits:

  • income support
  • income-based jobseeker’s allowance
  • income-related employment support allowance
  • support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • guarantee element of state pension credit
  • child tax credit and also that your  household’s yearly income does not exceed £16,190 (as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs)
  • you receive Working Tax Credits and your household’s gross annual earnings are no more than £16,190 as above
  • your child receives Disability Living Allowance


  • your child has an Education Health and Care plan.